Since 1998, I’ve worked in the high-risk life insurance business, specializing in placing difficult and challenging life insurance policies for people with health issues, dangerous jobs or adventurous hobbies.
Life Insurance Underwriting Expertise
Independent insurance agents do not work directly with the life insurer, they work through a brokerage general agent (BGA) who negotiates underwriting offers with insurance companies.
I started my career working for a BGA, negotiating underwriting offers on thousands of life insurance policies for people with high-risk health issues.
With access to insurance company underwriting manuals and reinsurance guidelines, I have learned which companies are best based on the health issues involved.
I’ve learned a few things since 1998 that I feel set me apart from my competition in terms of knowledge, experience, and expertise, including:
- Training – I continuously update my knowledge of underwriting issues and life insurance industry news of importance.
- I negotiate underwriting offers directly with underwriters I’ve worked with for many years, and know how to present a case to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Health Conditions – I’ve taken the time to learn about countless health conditions from an underwriting standpoint. I know the questions to ask you about your health, I know the likely outcome of underwriting when we speak and take the time to explain to you.
- Underwriting Knowledge – I have acquired reinsurance manuals used by insurance companies. I maintain the underwriting guidelines of each company I work with and have countless case studies and underwriting offers that I use to negotiate for you.
- Continuing Education – I take continuing education courses on a regular basis, with much of that focus in the areas of underwriting and business owner life insurance.
- Articles – I’ve been featured in a number of articles by industry publications over the years due to my experience.
- Website Content – I wrote every page and article on this website based on years of experience. I’ve also written articles for major news publications, including this recent article for the life insurance industry’s #1 magazine about life insurance for diabetics.
- Underwriting Connections – I work with many underwriters at home offices where I spent years developing professional relationships. It allows me to better negotiate offers.
Underwriting Expertise by Niche
- High Risk Health Issues
- Aviation – Private pilots, Fixed Wing, Helicopter, Agricultural, Emergency Services, Experimental Aircraft, Acrobatic, and Aviation Exclusions.
- Scuba Diving – Recreational, Diving Instructors, Technical Divers, Commercial and Salvage Divers
- Mountain Climbing – Trail, Mountain, Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Elevations to 25,000 feet.
- Racing – NASCAR Truck and Sprint Series Racers.
- Professional Athletes – NBA basketball players to cover professional contracts.
- High Net Worth – Life Insurance Involving Reinsurance Underwriting
- Estate Planning Cases – Survivorship policies, Premium Financed Life Insurance, Life Settlements.
- Business Cases – Executives, buy-sell, deferred comp, key person coverage, SBA Loan Collateral.
University of New Haven – Bachelor’s of Science – Accounting
Life and Health Insurance Licensed in 40+ States
Life Industry Involvement – I’ve been involved in many aspects of the life insurance business throughout my career, including:
NAILBA – National Association of Life Brokerage Agencies – This is the predominant association that brokerage agencies belong to, and have served on the technology committee.
Life Insurance Company Producer Panel – I was part of a select group of agents that made up this company’s producer panel, providing insight and ideas to management regarding the sale of insurance products and the use of technology in the sales of insurance.
IPipeline – User Research Group for iGo application product, term quote engine, life insurance technology.
I’m required by my home state (Pennsylvania) to continue my education (CE) to ensure ongoing technical and professional competency, completing a minimum of 24 credits every 2 years.
I’m in compliance with all states that I am licensed in, having completed and passed many CE courses, including the following state-approved courses:
- Interpreting Medical Reports
- A Roadmap for the Underwriting Highway
- Impaired Risk for Agents
- Underwriting Requirements and Long Term Care
- Business Insurance Concepts
- Estate Planning Techniques for Small Business Owners
- Life Insurance Strategies for Small Business
- Business Valuation
- Business Continuation and Consideration – Prudential
- Split Dollar Life Insurance – Lincoln National
- Hot Funding Ideas using Split Dollar – Prudential
- Life and Health Insurance Law
- Living Trusts and Avoiding Probate
- Financial Planning
- Fiduciary Responsibility in a Life Settlement Transaction
- Individual Retirement Accounts
- Health Insurance Financial Planning
- Medicare and Medicare Supplements
I have a proven track record and relentless approach to helping people find the life insurance they need, no matter what the situation is. There’s no pressure or obligation with my service. I’ll share the information you need in order to make an informed decision about life insurance, and my goal is to earn your business.