Affordable life insurance for ulcerative colitis is available
Ulcerative colitis life insurance – We show you how to get coverage from companies that understand.
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), affecting approximately 1 million Americans.
With life insurance, it’s all about the severity of your ulcerative colitis (UC).
That, coupled with the treatment you receive and the time since your last flare-up determines your life insurance rate.
This guide details what to expect from companies based on your history.
No Time to Read? Request Your Quote Now and We’ll Send You Everything You Need to Know –>
How Ulcerative Colitis Severity Affects Life Insurance
Ulcerative colitis is classified as mild, moderate or severe.
The extent of your inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a primary underwriting factor that life insurers consider.
The American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) has an activity index to determine the IBD severity.
Can I get life insurance if I have ulcerative colitis?
Yes, you can get life insurance if you have ulcerative colitis.
People with inflammatory bowel diseases such as UC are able to get life insurance in most cases.
If you follow our advice in this article.
Mild Ulcerative Colitis Life Insurance
- Adult-onset for most cases.
- Mild inflammation limited to the left side of the colon.
- Infrequent flare-ups.
- Intermittent rectal bleeding, intermittent diarrhea, and abdominal cramps.
- Medications limited to sulfasalazine, Mesalamine, Asacol, Rowasa enemas, cortenemas, and over the counter drugs like Imodium.
- Medical marijuana use.
- Limited use of oral steroids during flare-ups.
- There is no anemia history.
- No skin, arthritis, or eye problems.
- No history of hepatitis.
- Good medical records and consistent follow-up.
Proctitis and proctosigmoiditis will follow the same life insurance underwriting as mild UC.
Moderate Ulcerative Colitis Life Insurance
Moderate ulcerative colitis follows the same symptoms as mild ulcerative colitis symptoms,
But may also include the following:
- Mostly adult-onset.
- Left-sided or pancolitis (entire colon).
- More frequent flare-ups
horterduration of time between flare-ups.
- More severe symptoms of bleeding and diarrhea, and abdominal pain.
- Medications include Entyvio or injections with Humira.
- Prednisone is used more frequently.
- May have had hospitalizations.
- Good medical records and follow-ups with physicians.
Severe Ulcerative Colitis Life Insurance
Severe ulcerative colitis medical histories include the following:
- Childhood-onset is common
- Frequent episodes
- Heavy bleeding
- Hospitalization & surgical treatment.
- Continued symptoms after surgery.
- Unfavorable colonoscopy results indicating dysplasia.
- Weight loss greater than 10% of normal body weight.
- Continuous use of steroid-based medications.
- Severe inflammation of the colon.
- Significant Anemia
Other factors that may affect underwriting include liver function test results if significantly elevated.
Ulcerative colitis life expectancy may be shortened by indications of:
- Fulminant ulcerative colitis
- Sclerosing cholangitis
Guaranteed issue life insurance is the only option available for the above.
We’ll let you know what to expect with life insurance rates. –>
Which Company is Best?
The best life insurance company for you will depend on your exact medical history.
Have you been been rated or declined for life insurance?
Don’t get discouraged!
Most times, a prior negative experience was due to working with the wrong life insurance company.
With our life insurance underwriting process, we get you to the right insurer the first time!
We use a quick quote process that takes 3-4 days to hear back from all companies that specialize in UC.
With that being said, some of the best companies for ulcerative colitis have been:
Including the above, we shop to 15+ companies for every ulcerative colitis case.
We recommend convertible term life insurance for most cases.
Sometimes a no-lapse guaranteed universal life insurance policy is the best option.
The reason why is that some underwriting programs offer underwriting credits to give you a better rate.
Just Diagnosed? Most companies will postpone life insurance for 3-6 months after diagnosis.
Companies want to see some follow-up physician visits and indications of treatment starting to work.
Get a quote. There’s never any pressure or obligation with our life insurance service –>
We need to know:
- Ulcerative colitis diagnosis date
- How many flare-ups of ulcerative colitis have you had in the past 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, and past 5 years?
- Have you been hospitalized for ulcerative colitis?
- Do you take any medications for ulcerative colitis?
- If yes, what do you take and what dosage?
- If you took steroids, please indicate the dates of use.
- Have you had surgery or has surgery been recommended?
- Have you had any significant weight loss?
- Colonoscopy dates and results.
- If you’re part of a clinical trial, underwriting will look for any history of side effects, including impact if any on your immune response or blood tests.
Life insurance underwriting will require a paramedical exam and a review of your medical records.
We’ll also gather your family history information,
And work with you to determine how much life insurance to buy.
Ulcerative Colitis Medical Information
Your medical records need to be up to date and in compliance with your doctor’s orders.
Underwriters want to know:
- Do you take your medications as prescribed?
- Are current colonoscopies available in your records?
- Are you overdue for testing, colonoscopies, treatments?
Mistakes made by clients include:
- Trying to time life insurance with remissions
- Skipping colonoscopies
Life insurance companies will postpone offering coverage until the tests have been completed.
Denied Life Insurance Due to Ulcerative Colitis?
If you were denied life insurance due to ulcerative colitis, let us know what life insurer declined you.
The most likely reason for the decline is applying to the wrong insurance company.
We’ll use the quick quote process previously mentioned to get you the best offer possible.
Once we have the underwriting feedback, we’ll show you the best life insurance companies available.
Ulcerative Colitis Life Insurance Conclusion
There’s no obligation or pressure with our service.
We’ll help you find the best life insurance rates available.
Please take a few minutes to request your quote –>
by Michael Horbal – Updated on December 30, 2020