There are a number of life insurance companies available that understand heart rhythm issues that will offer you life insurance based on your pacemaker history.
What You Need to Know about Pacemakers and life insurance
What is a Pacemaker?
A pacemaker is a small device implanted in the chest to help regulate heart rhythms. If you have tachycardia, your heart beats too fast. If your heart beats too slow, you have bradycardia.
If your heart does not work properly, a pacemaker will help regulate your heartbeat.
Pacemaker Life Insurance Underwriting
Finding affordable life insurance with heart disease conditions that require a pacemaker is no longer complicated.
From an impaired risk life insurance underwriting standpoint, pacemakers are part of our heart disease life insurance underwriting section.
The main concerns about a pacemaker center around infections, pacemaker malfunctions, or the fracture of pacemaker wires.
With improvements in technology, malfunctions and fractured wires are increasingly rare.
The main concern is infection. Because of the infection risk, many life insurance companies will postpone offering life insurance to you for a period of time after your pacemaker is implanted.
Once this period has passed, it may be possible to obtain life insurance at anywhere from a “standard” rate to a low table rated policy.
Pacemaker Underwriting Questions
From an underwriting standpoint, we need to know the following:
- What was the underlying heart condition?
- Was this a condition you were born with or did you develop the condition later in life?
- Did you have any complications from the pacemaker such as infections, blood clots, perforations or malfunctioning pacemaker?
- If yes, please describe.
- How often do you meet with your cardiologist?
- When was your last cardiac workup and what tests were completed?
- Is your pacemaker a:
- single chamber – 1 wire lead
- dual chamber – 2 wire leads
- biventricular pacemaker – 3 wire leads
- Does the pacemaker also provide defibrillation?
- What is the reason for life insurance?
- Have you applied to any companies?
- Which companies and what was the outcome?
With our service, we shop out to the insurance companies that specialize in heart conditions and will have preliminary feedback from these companies in a few days.
Pacemaker Underwriting Updates
We have received a number of offers recently for individuals with pacemakers are very favorable life insurance rates.
In the past, if a pacemaker was involved, the best case scenario may have been a Table Rating that would add 100% – 150% to the price of your life insurance.
We have had a number of cases lately where the insureds received a table 2 rating, which is equal to the standard rate plus 50%. This is a great underwriting improvement with life insurance companies.
Please take a few minutes to complete your quote request.