If you take Truvada, read this article before you apply for life insurance.
This Truvada Life Insurance Guide Covers:
- Truvada Life Insurance Overview
- Truvada Life Insurance Underwriting by Company
- Truvada Life Insurance Questions
Truvada Life Insurance Overview
There has been a lot of news stories lately about life insurance underwriters denying life insurance to people who take the medication Truvada. Here’s a recent New York Times article about life insurance denials for Truvada.
Fortunately, the outrage has exerted pressure on many life insurers, forcing them to reconsider their underwriting practices for Truvada.
Life insurers typically respond slowly and improve their underwriting rules over time.
For those who don’t know, PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is a prevention strategy used to reduce the risk of becoming infected with HIV through sex.
Truvada is the only FDA approved drug for PrEP.
Truvada Life Insurance Underwriting by Company
Our specialty is high-risk life insurance underwriting, helping our clients find affordable life insurance.
As independent life insurance agents, we match you to the best life insurance companies based on your individual health history.
After reading some of the news about life insurance denials for Truvada, we decided to reach out to the companies we work with to see how they would respond.
The answers were all over the place, and we were actually surprised by the ignorance of some of the companies, but also encouraged by companies that will accept Truvada use.
In general, the following life insurers will underwrite you if you use Truvada.
Life insurance companies that accept Truvada use:
- John Hancock
- Lincoln National
- Minnesota Life
- Pacific Life
- Principal – yes, but reinsurance reviewed
- United of Omaha
While these companies will consider coverage, most will decline you if your medical records indicate risky behaviors, unprotected sex, multiple STD history, etc.
We’ll update this list as more companies update their underwriting manuals.
Truvada Life Insurance Questions
After we speak with you, we’ll summarize your medical history and shop it out to carriers on an anonymous basis for underwriting feedback.
The benefit to you is that we cover many companies quickly without you having to complete multiple life insurance applications.
Underwriting questions that we ask all clients include:
- What are your height and weight?
- Have you gained or lost more than 10 pounds in the past 12 months?
- Do you currently use tobacco or nicotine products? If yes, what do you use?
- If you quit, when did you quit?
- What medications and dosages do you take?
- Are you currently disabled?
- Is there any family history of your parents or siblings having heart disease, cancer or diabetes prior to age 60?
- If yes, who was it, what did they have and did they die from it?
- Do you have any history of elevated liver enzymes?
- Do you have any history of STD?
- Have you reviewed a copy of your own medical records?
Have you ever been diagnosed with or treated for any of the following:
- Convulsions, epilepsy, paralysis, mental or nervous disorder?
- Chest pain, high blood pressure, heart murmur, heart attack, stroke, or other disorder of the heart and circulatory system?
- Asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, tuberculosis, or chronic respiratory disease?
- Jaundice, intestinal bleeding, ulcer, chronic colitis, diverticulitis, or other disorder of the liver or gastrointestinal system?
- Disease of the kidney, bladder, prostate, sugar or protein in the urine?
- Loss of vision, arthritis, any other disorder of the muscles, bones, and joints?
- Cancer, tumor, diabetes, or glandular disorder?
- Past 10 years, diagnosed as having AIDS or AIDS-related complex?
- Been treated for drug addiction, alcoholism, or been a member of AA?
- Belong to the military or plan to join in the future?
- Ever been convicted of a felony?
Underwriting TIP – We recommend to all of our clients that you obtain a copy of your medical records and review them first before applying for life insurance.
The reason why is that we have witnessed a number of clients who had notes in their records unbeknownst to them that were detrimental in underwriting.
You may be able to address any notes with your physician before you apply.
There is never any pressure or obligation with our life insurance service. We give you the information you need to make an informed decision about your life insurance.
Please take a few minutes to complete your quote request today. Thank you.