MassMutual Life Insurance Company Review
Will MassMutual Be There When I Need It?
For over 160 years, MassMutual has been protecting families.
You won’t find too many life insurance companies that rival MassMutual’s strength.
Table of Contents
- MassMutual Life Insurance Company Review
- AM Best – “A++”
- Moody’s – “Aa3”
- S&P – “AA+”
- Fitch – “AA+”
Ratings as of 03/2021 and are subject to change.
With over $830 billion of protection in force, it seems pretty certain that MassMutual will be there when you need them.
As a comparison, New York Life has $1 trillion in protection in force.
How Easy is it to Get a Policy with MassMutual?
Like a lot of companies, MassMutual is working on ways to reduce the time to life insurance approval.
Coverpath is MassMutual’s digital application process.
The application and policy are done electronically.
Algorithms are used to help determine if a paramedical exam will be required for your policy.
Some people may be approved on the same day without an exam.
- Amounts up to $1 million
- Ages 18-59 for term life
- Ages 14 days – 59 for whole life
There are also instances where electronic medical records may be accepted instead of a paramedical exam.
This all depends on the quality of your medical records, assuming you have current records and labs available for review.
Obtaining up to $3 million in coverage for some insureds may be possible.
Are MassMutual Policies Competitive?
For term life insurance, there are several more competitive pricing options available.
If you’re looking for whole life insurance, MassMutual is near the top for most cases. You can compare their rates to State Farm.
The Vantage Term Series is a level-term life insurance policy.
A second version called Vantage Term ECP has an Extended Conversion Period.
MassMutual offers the following:
- Minimum Face Amount – $100,000
- Term Lengths Available:
- 1-Year Term – Age 18-75
- 10-Year Term – Age 18-75
- 15-Year Term – Age 18-70 (ECP is age 18-54)
- 20-Year Term – Age 18-65 (ECP is age 18-54)
- 25-Year Term – Age 18-60* (ECP is age 18-54)
- 30-Year Term – Age 18-55* (ECP is age 18-54*)
- * Tobacco user ages are lower
- Rate Classes
- Ultra Preferred Non-Tobacco
- Select Preferred Non-Tobacco
- Select Preferred Tobacco
- Riders Available
- Accelerated Death Benefit
- Waiver of Premium
- Conversion Privilege
Whole Life Insurance
MassMutual offers a lot of different whole life insurance policies that we don’t go into all the details of here.
If you have an interest in receiving a whole life insurance quote, we would review your objectives first.
We would then obtain the full company illustrations for your review and review the details.
Some Highlights of MassMutual whole life:
- Some policies are available starting at age zero.
- A number of policies have minimum face amounts of $25,000
- Riders Available:
- Waiver of Premium
- LTC Access
- Additional Life Insurance
- Life Insurance Supplement
- Guaranteed Insurability
- Renewable Term
- Accelerated Death Benefit
- Transfer of Insured
- Yearly Term Purchase
- Estate Protection (survivorship policy)
- Policy Split Option (survivorship policy)
Other companies with whole life insurance policies to compare include Northwestern, Guardian, and others.
The availability of riders varies by product, state of residence, age, underwriting, etc.
We’ll let you know precisely what is available for your policy.
Universal Life Insurance
Three universal life insurance policies are available.
The Universal Life Guard and Survivorship Universal Life Guard policies are no-lapse guaranteed products.
They are designed to provide you with a no-lapse guaranteed death benefit for up to your lifetime.
The Universal Life Navigator is a cash value accumulation universal life policy.
Haven Life is a life insurance agency backed by and wholly owned by MassMutual.
Two term life insurance policies are offered.
- Medically underwritten policy
- Face Amounts – $100,000 – $3,000,000
- Term Lengths – 10, 15, 20, and 30-year terms
- Issue Ages – 18-65
- Accelerated death benefits
- Haven Life Plus rider – offers access to additional benefits
- Never requires a medical exam
- Digital application
- Face Amounts – $25,000 – $500,000
- Term Lengths – 5, 10, and 15-year terms
- Issue Ages – 20-55
- Accelerated death benefit
When Haven was first introduced to the market, not many carriers offered accelerated underwriting with no exams.
Now you will find that Haven Life policies are expensive compared to Protective Life, North American, etc.
Does MassMutual Provide Good Customer Service?
MassMutual offers customer service via phone, online, and mail if needed.
You can set up online policy owner access here
The customer service phone number is 800-272-2216
The home office is located at 1295 State Street – Springfield, Massachusetts 01111
MassMutual is a great company from a financial strength standpoint.
From a competitive standpoint, there are usually more competitive companies available.
Please submit your request for quotes, and we will provide you with comparisons of Mass Mutual and competitors. Thank you.
Other Companies We Reviewed
- State Farm Life Insurance
- Great Western
- Corebridge Financial – A New Name for AIG Life and Retirement
- Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Review 2023
- Primerica Life Insurance Review
- American General Life Insurance Company Review – 2023 Updates
- West Coast Life Insurance Company (Don’t Miss Your Last Chance)
- New York Life Insurance Company Review for 2023
- 2022 Prudential Life Insurance Review
Michael J. Horbal
Owner of RiskQuoter
Too many people overpay for life insurance because they have the wrong life insurance company, agent, or both. That’s why I started RiskQuoter – To help you get the best life insurance rates available.
As an independent insurance agent, I’m licensed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia and offer 40+ life insurance companies to ensure you get your best rate!
By Michael Horbal – Updated on 03/01/2023