Brighthouse Life Insurance Review
Brighthouse Financial got its start as Travelers Insurance Company in 1863, which was later acquired by Metlife in 2005.
Will Brighthouse Be There When You Need Them?
In 2017, Brighthouse Financial became a separate life insurance company from Metlife.
- AM Best – “A”
- Moody’s – “A3”
- S&P – “A+”
- Fitch – “A”
Financial strength ratings as of 04/2021 and subject to change.
With over 2 million customers and $248 billion in assets, this company is set up to be here for the long haul.
As a comparison, New York Life has $700 billion of assets under management.
How Easy is it to Get a Policy with Brighthouse?
Compared to the best life insurance companies, it is not easy to buy a policy from them.
In fact, term life insurance policies are only available through one agency in the country.
Aside from the limited distribution, a streamlined underwriting process is available if you qualify.
No labs or medical exams are required, and underwriting is completed in days.
Are Brighthouse Policies Competitive?
The following policies are available for your consideration.
SimplySelect Term Life Insurance
The SimplySelect term life insurance policy is a limited distribution product.
- Issue Ages – 25 – 49.5
- Term lengths available – 10, 20, and a 30-year term.
- Minimum Face Amount – $100,000
- Maximum Face Amount – $2 million
- Acceleration of Death Benefit Rider
- No labs or medical exams required in some cases
- Conversion to whole life insurance
Brighthouse SmartCare Universal Life
SmartCare is an indexed universal life insurance policy with long term care (LTC) benefits.
- Issue Ages – 40-75
- Maximum Face Amount – $1,000,000
- 90 Day Elimination Period for LTC benefits
- Terminal Illness Benefits
- Policy Loans Available
- Waiver of Policy Charges while LTC claims are being paid
- LTC Benefit Choices Include:
- Indexed to S&P 500, Russell 2000, or MSCI EAFE index
- Fixed 5% Compound Growth
- Level LTC Benefit
- LTC Acceleration of Death Benefit Rider
- Extension of Benefits Rider
- Premium Payment Choices:
- 2 Years
- 3 Years
- 4 Years
- 5 Years
Other companies such as Pacific Life and Lincoln National offer similar types of policies to compare to Brighthouse.
One Year Term
- Issue Ages – 18-85
- Minimum Face Amount – $100,000
- Convertible and Renewable Options Rider – Extends coverage for 5 years
- Conversion to whole life if you have the rider
Conversion Whole Life
The Conversion Whole Life is the only permanent life insurance policy available.
- Conversion Whole Life
- Guaranteed level premium for life
- Level death benefit is guaranteed
- Cash value growth
It is a basic whole life product only available when converting a term policy.
Does Brighthouse Provide Good Customer Service?
Our experience with customer service has been pretty good overall with no real problems.
Brighthouse customer service at 800-638-5000.
You will find Brighthouse customer login – here
Brighthouse headquarters is located at 11225 N. Community House Road – Charlotte, NC 28277
Brighthouse has good quality ratings and financials, but from a life insurance standpoint there are better options available.
Please take a few minutes to submit your quote request today.
We’ll provide you with comparisons for the best companies to meet your needs. Thank you.
Other Companies We Reviewed
- State Farm Life Insurance
- Great Western
- Corebridge Financial – A New Name for AIG Life and Retirement
- Mutual of Omaha Life Insurance Review 2023
- Primerica Life Insurance Review
- American General Life Insurance Company Review – 2023 Updates
- West Coast Life Insurance Company (Don’t Miss Your Last Chance)
- New York Life Insurance Company Review for 2023
- 2022 Prudential Life Insurance Review
Michael J. Horbal
Owner of RiskQuoter
Too many people overpay for life insurance because they have the wrong life insurance company, agent, or both. That’s why I started RiskQuoter – To help you get the best life insurance rates available.
As an independent insurance agent, I’m licensed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia and offer 40+ life insurance companies to ensure you get your best rate!
By Michael Horbal – Updated on 01/28/2023