If you take Truvada, read this article before you apply for life insurance.
Truvada Life Insurance Overview
Truvada Life Insurance History
There have been many stories lately about life insurance underwriting denying life insurance for taking Truvada.
Here’s a recent New York Times article about life insurance denials for Truvada.
Fortunately, the outrage has exerted pressure on many life insurers.
We saw this same scenario play out a few years ago for HIV life insurance underwriting.
We also saw it for Naloxone carried by health care workers and families for opioid users.
Life insurers typically respond slowly and improve their underwriting rules over time.
A number of companies have revised their underwriting practices for Truvada.
For those who don’t know,
PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) is a prevention strategy used to reduce the risk of becoming infected with HIV through sex.
Truvada is the only FDA-approved drug for PrEP.
Underwriting by Company
Our specialty is high-risk life insurance underwriting, helping our clients find affordable life insurance.
As independent life insurance agents, we match you to the best life insurance companies based on your individual health.
After reading news about life insurance denials for Truvada, we decided to reach out to the companies we work with.
The responses were all over the place.
We were actually surprised by the ignorance of some of the companies,
But also encouraged by others that will accept Truvada use.
In general, the following life insurers will underwrite you if you use Truvada.
Life insurance companies that accept Truvada use:
- John Hancock
- Lincoln National
- Minnesota Life
- Pacific Life
- Principal – yes, but reinsurance reviewed
- United of Omaha
While these life insurance companies will consider coverage, there are some exceptions.
Most will decline you if your medical records indicate risky behaviors, unprotected sex, multiple STD history, etc.
We’ll update this list as more companies update their underwriting manuals.
After we speak with you, we’ll summarize your medical history and shop it out to life insurers.
We us an anonymous process sending health details but no personally identifiable information.
The benefit to you is that we cover many companies quickly.
Underwriting questions that we ask all clients include:
- What are your height and weight?
- Have you gained/lost more than 10 pounds in the past year.
- Do you currently use tobacco or nicotine products? If yes, what do you use?
- If you quit, when did you quit?
- What medications and dosages do you take?
- Are you currently disabled?
- Is there any family history of your parents or siblings having heart disease, cancer, or diabetes prior to age 60?
- If yes, who was it, and did they die from it?
- Do you have any history of elevated liver enzymes?
- Do you have any history of STD?
- Have you reviewed a copy of your own medical records?
Have you ever been diagnosed with or treated for:
- Convulsions, epilepsy, paralysis?
- Mental or nervous disorders?
- Chest pain, high blood pressure, heart murmur, heart attack, stroke, or other heart or circulatory problems?
- Asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, tuberculosis, or chronic respiratory disease?
- Jaundice, intestinal bleeding, ulcer, chronic colitis, or other disorders of the liver or gastrointestinal system?
- A disease of the kidney, bladder, prostate, protein in the urine?
- Loss of vision, arthritis, any other disorder of the muscles, bones, and joints?
- Cancer, tumor, diabetes, or glandular disorder?
- Diagnosed as having AIDS or AIDS-related complex?
- Been treated for drug addiction and/or alcoholism?
- Belong to the military or plan to join in the future?
- Ever been convicted of a felony?
We recommend that you obtain a copy of your medical records and review them first before applying.
The reason why is that we have witnessed…
A number of clients had notes in their records unbeknownst to them that were detrimental in underwriting.
You may be able to address any notes with your physician before you apply.
There is never any pressure or obligation with our life insurance service.
We give you the information you need to make an informed decision about your life insurance.
Please take a few minutes to complete your quote request today.
Michael Horbal is the founder and owner of RiskQuoter.com and a licensed life insurance agent who has helped thousands with affordable protection for families and businesses.